Exploring options after job loss with a Tier 2 UK visa

— Juliet Edjere

Losing your job while holding a Tier 2 UK visa can be a daunting experience. This visa category is tied to your employment, and a job loss could potentially jeopardize your immigration status. However, there are several options and strategies available to navigate this challenging situation.

In this post, we will explore various paths you can take if you find yourself in this predicament, providing insights and proactive solutions.

A man in a leather jacket looking down while sitting on a ledge in a city
Photo by whoislimos on Unsplash

Understanding the Tier 2 visa system

The Tier 2 visa system in the UK is employer-sponsored, and it's divided into several categories. The most relevant for job loss scenarios are the Tier 2 (General) and Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) visas.

Tier 2 (General) visa

If you lose your job under a Tier 2 (General) visa:

  1. Grace period: You typically have 60 days from the date your employment ends to either secure a new job with a Tier 2 sponsor or switch to another visa category.
  2. Switching visa categories: You can switch to various other visa categories, including Tier 1 Entrepreneur, Tier 4 Student, or Tier 5 Temporary Worker, provided you meet the eligibility criteria for these categories.

Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) visa

If you lose your job under a Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) visa:

  1. Grace period: The grace period is shorter, typically 60 days, to either find a new job within the same category or leave the UK.
  2. Switching visa categories: The options for switching to another visa category are more limited compared to Tier 2 (General) visa holders.

Options you can consider if you lose your job while holding a Tier 2 visa in the UK

1. Understand the consequences

The first step when facing a job loss on a Tier 2 UK visa is to understand the consequences. Your visa is tied to your sponsoring employer, and losing your job affects your immigration status. You have 60 days to find a new job or leave the country. Failing to do so may lead to deportation or affect future visa applications.

2. Search for new employment

The most straightforward option is to search for a new job as quickly as possible. You'll need to secure a new job offer with a licensed Tier 2 sponsor within the 60-day period. Make use of job search websites, professional networks, and career fairs to increase your chances of finding employment. It's important to ensure the new job meets the Tier 2 visa requirements, including the minimum salary threshold and skill level.

3. Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer visa

If your previous job was under the Tier 2 Intra-Company Transfer (ICT) category, you may have the option to switch to another Tier 2 ICT visa with a different sponsor. This can be a viable solution if you are unable to secure a Tier 2 (General) job. Keep in mind that you might not be able to settle permanently in the UK under the ICT category.

4. Entrepreneurial route: Start your own business

Consider an entrepreneurial route by starting your own business in the UK. The Innovator Founder visa scheme is designed for individuals with innovative business ideas. This option, however, requires substantial planning and investment and might not be suitable for everyone.

5. Study in the UK

Enrolling in a full-time course in the UK can be another way to maintain your legal status. This allows you to switch to a Tier 4 student visa. While studying, you can explore part-time work options and build a new skill set, potentially leading to future employment.

6. Exceptional circumstances

In some exceptional cases, where circumstances beyond your control have led to job loss, you might be eligible for a "change of employment" application. This involves presenting a case to the Home Office explaining the situation and requesting a change of employment or sponsor. Such cases require strong documentation and legal advice.

7. Explore other visas

Depending on your individual situation, you may be eligible for other UK visas. For instance, the Tier 1 (Investor) or Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visas are possibilities if you meet the specific criteria. Exploring alternative visa routes might provide a new perspective on your options.

8. Maintain contact with immigration authorities

Maintaining open communication with the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) is crucial during this period. You should notify them about your job loss and stay updated on any rule changes. Keeping them informed can help you avoid any unintended violations and ensure that you are aware of your rights and responsibilities.

Consulting an immigration lawyer can be highly beneficial in navigating the complexities of visa-related issues. They can provide expert advice on your specific situation, helping you make informed decisions and potentially identifying solutions you might not have considered.

Consequences of overstaying on a Tier 2 visa in the UK

  • Breach of immigration rules: Overstaying is a breach of UK immigration rules, which can negatively affect your immigration record.
  • Legal consequences: You may be liable for removal or deportation from the UK, which can impact your ability to return in the future.
  • Loss of rights: Overstayers lose many rights and privileges, including the right to work, access to public services, and the ability to rent accommodation.
  • Difficulty in future immigration applications: Overstaying can make it extremely challenging to obtain another UK visa in the future, as it reflects poorly on your compliance with immigration laws.

Resources to help you during this transition

The UK government offers some resources to help individuals who lose their jobs on a Tier 2 visa:

  • UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI): The UKVI website provides information on visa categories, application processes, and contact details for inquiries. It's a valuable resource for understanding visa regulations and requirements.
  • Citizens Advice Bureau: This organization offers advice and guidance on a wide range of issues, including immigration matters. They can provide information on your rights and options.
  • Migrant Help: Migrant Help is a charity organization that offers support to migrants in the UK. They provide advice and assistance to individuals dealing with immigration-related issues.
  • Legal Aid: In some cases, you may be eligible for legal aid if you're facing immigration issues. This can provide you with access to legal representation or advice.

Keep in mind that the availability and effectiveness of these resources may vary, and consulting an immigration specialist or solicitor is often a wise step when dealing with complex immigration situations.


Losing your job on a Tier 2 UK visa can be a challenging experience, but it doesn't necessarily mean the end of your journey in the UK. It's important to understand the consequences, explore the various options available, and take proactive steps to secure your immigration status.

Whether it's finding a new job, switching to a different visa category, or exploring entrepreneurial opportunities, there are paths forward. Seek professional advice when needed, stay informed, and remember that adaptability and resilience are key to overcoming such challenges.

Maze provides an end-to-end platform that disrupts the traditional relocation model.

We connect people relocating with service providers, reduce cost and enable the personalization of customer journeys to the UK.

Follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn, or Contact us with your relocation enquiries.

Subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates, discounts, exclusive content, and more!

* indicates required
Powered By Swish